At the conference there will be talks about virtual heritage and the future of heritage in virtual worlds discussed in various sessions. Participants will be able to learn about new technical solutions and outputs from different projects and organisations. Innovative projects in gaming and experience industry that build on cultural heritage will get the change to present their products onsite. The event is hybrid and will be streamed and participants can join session online. The conference program with abstracts included can be downloaded here. Or follow the conference homepage.
9:00 - 11:30 Auðarsalur in Veröld (University of Iceland)
Opening speech by the president of Iceland, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson.
- Into the Heritage-Verse by Erik Champion, Enterprice Fellow at the University of South Australia and former UNESCO chair of Cultural Heritage and Visualisation.
- Representations of Icelandic cultural heritage in the video game Island of Wind by Guðrún Þóra Gunnarsdóttir, Lead graphic designer of Parity.
- The What, Why and How of Digital Cultural Heritage by Knut Paasche, archaeologist and head of department at NIKU in Norway.
- Digitising the Past for a Better Future by Jacquie Aitken, archaeologist and curator at Timespan in Scotland.
- Exploring Threats and Opportunities for Social Impacts Cultural and Natural Heritage by Alan Miller, lecturer at University of St. Andrews.
11:30 - 13:00 - Veröld - House of Vigdis (University of Iceland)
Lunch break with project presentations and demonstrations of technology (20).
13:00 - 15:00 Halls in Veröld - House of Vigdis
Sessions with presentations (25) and panel discussion.
- Virtual reality and digital reconstructions
- Immersive storytelling
- Digital preservation, community engagement, and crowdsourcing
- Virtual museums, virtual tours and tourism
- Game-based approach to heritage
15:30 - 16:00 Auðarsalur in Veröld - House of Vigdis (University of Iceland)